Tuesday, March 23, 2010

In a Van down by the River

I'm reminded of the hilarious Saturday Night Live sketch with the late, great Chris Farley who played Matt Foley, a motivational speaker. He came to people's homes to deliver a speech to disaffected teenagers.  So so funny (see link below).

Today, I had the opportunity to be a motivational speaker for Project GRAD, a fantastic non-profit that helps kids from elementary through high school achieve the goal of going to college.  My very good friend, Ozzie, asked if I would be interested in coming to speak for their Career Week and I jumped at the opportunity to do so.  I actually think the more we offer of ourselves, the bigger impact we have upon others.  If I reached even just one of the 50 or so kids I saw today, I made a difference.

So what does this have to do with this blog?  Well, you, of course.  I am writing this for the support, for the cheerleading, for the motivation you all give me on a day to day basis.  I'm writing to keep me on the path of better health and fitness, but I certainly cannot do it alone. Thanks to anyone reading and being my Matt Foley!

Forgive the choppy tribute, but because of copyright issues, it's hard to find the entire original sketch.
Matt Foley, motivational speaker

No comments:

Post a Comment